Attributes are key-value pairs that you associate with your audience to help better target them with messages. Attributes extend the concept of tagsMetadata associated with a device or user to track user attributes or behavior. Tags are case-sensitive. by adding comparison operators (e.g., equals, contains, greater/less than, etc.) and values to audience expressions, helping you better evaluate your audience.
You can use attributes to target audiences with greater specificity than you would with tags. See our Attributes beta launch announcement for a Tags vs Attributes example.
Airship supplies and automatically assigns a set of default attributes for you. You can also define custom attributes. Custom attributes can be set on ChannelsAn instance representing an entity addressable via the Airship service, e.g., an iOS device, email address, SMS number or web browser. The channel instance or channel object contains all relevant information about a channel, including metadata used for targeting, opt-in status, device-specific information, and, importantly, a unique identifier for the channel, the channel ID. and Named UsersA customer-provided identifier used for mapping multiple devices and channels to a particular user. . Airship supports text, number (numeric and decimal), and date attribute types.
For TEXT and NUMBER attributes, you will target your audience using
For DATE attributes, you will use
range (indicating the target attribute should fall between two dates that you provide).
General Availability (GA)
With today’s release, these attribute features are available for all Airship customers:
- Creating custom attributes
- Text — Examples: Product preference, loyalty status
- Number — Examples: Purchase amount, shopping cart balance
- Date — Examples: Purchase date, last login date
- Setting attributes on a ChannelAn instance representing an entity addressable via the Airship service, e.g., an iOS device, email address, SMS number or web browser. The channel instance or channel object contains all relevant information about a channel, including metadata used for targeting, opt-in status, device-specific information, and, importantly, a unique identifier for the channel, the channel ID. and Named UserA customer-provided identifier used for mapping multiple devices and channels to a particular user. from the SDKs or API
- All engagement channelsA communication medium supported by the Airship service. Supported channels include app, web, email, SMS, and Open Channels. Within some channels there may be specific platforms with individual characteristics. Example platforms include Chrome for the web channel and Android for the mobile app channel. are supported
- Mobile and web SDKs are supported
Targeting your audience using attributes is in development as part of our beta program:
- You can target text, number, and date attributes.
- Attributes can be combined with tags and audience lists.
- You can target text and number attributes only.
- You can combine multiple attributes, but attributes cannot be combined with other data types, e.g., tags and audience lists.
For access to targeting using attributes in the dashboard, complete our beta program signup form.
Our next GA attribute features include setting attributes using CSV upload (and an SFTP upload option), and personalization. Our next beta feature is a new Segment Builder tool.
- Upgrade your SDKs — Required if you want to use default attributes or set custom attributes from the SDK
- Define custom attributes in the dashboard
- Set attributes on a channel or named user from the SDK or API
Then you can target audiences using attributes through the dashboard or the API: