Define one easy-to-maintain whitelist per company containing an unlimited number of network ranges and/or IP addresses that can access your company’s project dashboards and API communication endpoints.
Before creating your IP Whitelist, plan your approach and gather user data. Doing this preliminary work will significantly reduce support calls related to project access after you build your whitelist.
Here are some rules and guidelines to help make it easier to create and maintain your company’s IP Whitelist.
- Inventory all individuals that must have access to your company’s projects, then identify and list their IP addresses. Your list may include company employees, outside contractors, and agency employees.
- Any user who has access to your company's projects should be whitelisted.
- Messaging projects: Open your project from the dashboard, navigate to Settings » Team Access, and note the usernames in the Team Member list. Repeat for each of your projects.
- Mobile wallet projects: Click in the right side of the Airship dashboard header, then click Team Management, and note the usernames in the Accepted Invitations list.
- Add your own IP address to the whitelist first. To make that easy, the IP address from which you are accessing your Airship account will always be listed at the top of the IP Whitelist screen.
- If anyone, including you, needs to have access to a project when working remotely (from home, hotel, convention center, coffee shop, etc.), his or her remote IP address must be included on the whitelist in addition to the work IP address. Bear in mind that some internet service providers periodically rotate their customers’ IP addresses. If this is a common occurrence, consider recommending that individuals working remotely tunnel in to your company’s network via a corporate virtual private network (VPN) that routes all their traffic through the corporate network.
Create the List
When you save the first IP address or range on the whitelist, you will block all individuals not originating from that saved IP address or range; they will not be able to access any of your company’s projects. Consider creating the initial whitelist off-hours to avoid inadvertently blocking a colleague's access to an project.
- Click in the right side of the dashboard header, and select IP Whitelist. Your current IP address is displayed at the top of the page.
- Click Add IP Address, enter your current IP address, and
click Save Whitelist.
Your current IP address is displayed at the top of the page, and it will
change from blue to gray when saved to the whitelist. If you need to access
your company’s Airship account from more than one location / IP address,
add each of those IP addresses in this initial session.
If your current IP address is not the IP range you’re attempting to add, or isn’t in the saved IP ranges, you will get a validation error; the system will prevent you from locking yourself out in the same session you’re setting up.
If you enter an invalid IP address, the field color will change to yellow and display an error message.
- Click Add IP Address and enter an individual IP address
or a block of IP addresses using
If you enter a valid individual IP address that is part of a valid IP address block you have already saved to the whitelist, you will not get an error message. You can also enter the same IP address or block multiple times and not get an error message.
- Click Save Whitelist. Valid entries will change from blue to gray, indicating that the IP address has been saved to the whitelist. To remove an IP address, click Remove IP to the right of the address.