You can send to any channel using the Message composer, however this tutorial is primarily for sending to mobile apps. Caveats are noted for other channels. See the Message Reference for allowed message type combinations.
Open the Message Composer
- Open your project from the dashboard, then click Create and select the Message composer.
- Optionally modify which Channels are included in your audience.All mobile app channels configured for your project will be listed and enabled by default, but you can toggle to limit your audience to specific channels. You must select at least one.
- Select the radio button for your desired recipient group.
- All Users: Sends the message to your entire audience.
- Target Specific Users: Create a recipient group based on segmentation data. See: Target Specific Users.
- Test Users: Predefined recipient groups. After choosing Test Users, select from the Test Groups dropdown menu that appears. See: Test Groups.
- Upload Users: Upload a list of users just before sending the message. Select this option if you want to include merge fields in your message. See: Upload Users.
- Click Content in the header to move on.
- Choose which
message type to send. This selection screen only appears if you selected mobile app and/or SMS channels. If combined, App and SMS choices will appear on separate tabs.Click Continue to confirm your choices.
When Web Browser, an Open Channel, and/or Windows is the only enabled channel, the only available message type is Push Notification. When Web Browser or an Open Channel and an app channel other than Windows are enabled, you have the option to combine the Push Notification with an In-App Message.
- Enter the text that will display in your message. A preview will
display as you type.
When you combine SMS, Email, or Open Channels with additional channels, the content is configured on separate tabs.
If you chose to combine a Push Notification and In-App Message, an In-App Message Text section appears below the message truncation indicator. By default, the In-App Message's alert text is the same as the Push Notification text. If you'd prefer to use a different message, select the radio button for Write alternative, and enter your text in the box that appears below.
- Select a Message Action from the dropdown menu.
- Optionally Set a tag.
- Set Optional Features.
- Click Delivery in the header to move on.
- Click to select Send Now, Schedule, or Optimize.
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections
from the dropdown menus.Optionally check the box for Delivery By Time Zone. For example, a push
notification scheduled for 9 a.m. will arrive for people on the east coast at
9 a.m. Eastern Time, in the midwest an hour later at 9 a.m. Central Time, then
on the west coast two hours after that, at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.
A message delivered by time zone include a Delivery by Time Zone section in its message report. See: View Message Detail.
- Optimize: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format. iOS, Android. and Amazon only.We recommend scheduling at least three days in advance due to the combination of time zones and optimal times. If your audience is more localized, e.g., only in the United States or in a certain European region, less lead time is necessary.
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections from the dropdown menus.Optionally check the box for Delivery By Time Zone. For example, a push notification scheduled for 9 a.m. will arrive for people on the east coast at 9 a.m. Eastern Time, in the midwest an hour later at 9 a.m. Central Time, then on the west coast two hours after that, at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.
- Set Optional Delivery Features.
- Click Review in the header to move on.
- Review the device preview and message summary. Click the arrows to page through the various previews. The channel and display type dynamically update in the dropdown menu above. You can also select a preview directly from the dropdown menu. The Open Channel preview is a data table containing the selections and content that will be sent for the Open Channel message.If you would like to make changes, click the associated step in the progress header, make your changes, then return to Review.
- If you chose Upload Users in the Audience step, add your file now. Uploaded merge field names will be verified against the merge fields set in the Content step.
- Send your message! Click Send or Schedule at the bottom of the window.
If sending an email, SMS, or open channel message, you can Upload Users in the Audience step of the composer. This provides a means to register new users and send them a message at the same time.
Upload Users can only be used with a single channel at a time. Make sure you have only Email, SMS, or a single Open Channel enabled.
Complete the rest of the composer like normal, and you will upload the list during the Review step. The Send Message button will instead be labeled Upload & Send. After clicking the button:
- Click Choose File, and select the file that contains your list of users.
- Click Send Message.
See Audience Lists: Inline Lists for file format requirements and general information about Inline lists.