Airship's ready-to-use 1st Flight app lets you kick the tires (and honk the horn and try the turn signals) immediately. Install the app and send yourself some notifications. Sounds good? Let's get you set up.
- Create an Airship account. After you create your account, you will see the Welcome to Airship screen.
- Click Download 1st Flight, then enter your email address and click Get Magic Link. We'll send you a magic link you can use to download the app.
- From your mobile device, check your email for our message and tap the message's link to download the app. Your device's app store will open to the Airship app.
- Install and open the app, and log in with your Airship username and password.
- Tap Connect My App. Your Airship account is now associated with the 1st Flight App on your device.
- For iOS mobile devices, tap Enable Push then Allow to allow the device to receive push notifications. Push is automatically enabled for Android, so this screen will not appear for Android mobile devices.
You're all set. Let's send a push notification to your mobile device.
Send a Notification
Compose and send a Push Notification A message that can appear on any screen on a mobile device. Push notifications appear as banners. and receive it on your mobile device. We'll try out a few features along the way, too.
- Open the 1st Flight project from the dashboard, then click Create and select Message.
- Select All Users, then click Content in the header.
- Select Push Notification, then click Continue.
- Enter your message in the text field. You will see your message appear in the device preview.
- Select Web Page from the Message Action dropdown menu, then enter a URL.
When your device receives the message and you tap the notification, its web browser will open the URL entered here.
- Toggle to enable the Title option. Enter a title in the text field and notice its position in the preview. Click Delivery in the header.
- Select Send Now, then click Review & Send in the header.
- Review the information on the left side of the screen, click through the images in the device preview, then click Send Message.
Take a look at the message as received on your mobile device. Tap the message and the device's browser should open the web page you entered when composing your message.
Want to send more messages? Our Message composer tutorial walks you through all the features and options.
Ready to integrate Airship with your own app? Start here: Create a Messaging Project.
Now that you have installed the 1st Flight app and successfully sent yourself a notification, you might want to try using Automation A set of conditions that your audience must meet before they receive a message. :
Use Automation to automatically issue notifications relevant to your users based on their recent behavior, e.g. entering a particular area, viewing a screen/page multiple times, etc.
Use Journeys to send a series of messages that are initiated by a single automation trigger. Messages are delivered according to your timing settings, and you can also set conditions that determine the continuation of the series.
Use In-App Automation to pre-cache and display highly contextual messages in response to user behaviors within your app. Using In-App Automation, you can even reach users who may have opted out of traditional push notifications.
Try our API
Familiarize yourself with our powerful Airship API.
You can use Postman to try a variety of push notifications using the Airship 1st Flight Postman Collection. After you install Postman, click the Run in Postman link below to automatically import our collection into your Postman account.