Many customer relationship management (CRM) platforms export data as CSV files. You can take advantage of Airship’s SFTP interface to quickly and easily upload and ingest lists from your CRM and send messages to specific groups of people.
SFTP takes advantage of the Airship Lists API. The list format for this API represents the same list format for lists that you want to upload to Airship over SFTP.
You can use Airship’s SFTP interface at
sftp.airship.eu:5222 for customers in our EU environment). To create audience lists in Airship using SFTP, you need:
- An FTP/SFTP client: Many CRM platforms support SFTP directly, or you can use a client like FileZilla.
- SSH keys: Airship’s implementation of SFTP uses public key authentication.
- A properly formatted list.
Formatting your CSV
Uploaded lists must be in CSV format. CSV files can contain up to 10 million
Named UsersA customer-provided identifier used for mapping multiple devices and channels to a particular user.
or channel IDs, and be up to 1.5 GB. Each row in the CSV must be
identifier_type is one of:
identifier is the associated
named_user,customer-42 named_user,room-27 ios_channel,5i4c91s5-9tg2-k5zc-m592150z5634 web_channel,d132f5b7-abcf-4920-aeb3-9132ddac3d5a android_channel,52b2b587-0152-4134-a8a0-38ae6933c88a
Generate a Secure key for Airship
You may be able to export your list directly to Airship if the platform you want to export lists from supports SFTP. If not, you’ll need to use a third-party client.
Airship’s SFTP implementation uses SSH key pairs for authentication. You will create a pair of keys: a private key for your client and a public key for Airship.
Generate a public key.
- Download and run PuTTYgen.exe.
- Select RSA in the Parameters section near the bottom of the page and click Generate.
- Move the mouse around in the blank area, as instructed, until PuTTYgen generates the key pair. When PuTTYgen generates the key, it replaces the blank area with a series of text boxes, including one that shows the public key.
- Click Save public key and select the directory where you want to save your public key.
- Click Save private key and save the private key in the same folder as your public key.
- Copy your Public key. You’ll provide this key to Airship in later steps. Make sure to copy the entire key, starting with ssh-rsa.
MacOS and Linux-based clients
- Open your terminal.
- At the command line, enter
ssh-keygen -t rsa. You can set other options, but the key type must be set to RSA (
- Enter the directory and filename for your new keys.
This process generates two files based on the filename you provide,
<filename>.pub. (By default, these files are
id_rsa.pubrespectively.) You will need to copy the contents of your
.pubfile to provide Airship with your public key.
In the Airship dashboard, go to Settings » APIs & Integrations » SFTP.
Click Add Key.
Enter a Name for the token. This helps you identify the token in Airship.
Paste the contents of your
<filename>.pubkey file (or the
<filename>.ppkfile for Windows users) in the Public Key field.
Click Save Key.
Set up Your Client and Transfer CSVs
Many CRM platforms natively support SFTP. You can set up any client to use Airship’s SFTP interface with the following settings:
sftp.airship.eufor EU customers)
- Authentication: Your private key (the key file that does not end in
.pubfor MacOS/Linux users, or
.ppkfor Windows users) and the User Name that Airship generated for you when you uploaded your public key.
After your connection is set up, you can transfer CSV lists to Airship. Your lists will appear in the Airship dashboard under Audience » Lists » Uploaded. When you send a message, select the Target Specific Users audience option and select your list.