Audience Lists are used to create recipient groups based on either your own uploaded data or automatically generated lifecycle information.
Use Lifecycle lists to target users with personalized messages based on their behaviors. You can:
- Specify a Lifecycle list as your recipient group when selecting your message audience.
- Include a Lifecycle list as an audience segment in the Segments Builder.
- Download Lifecyle lists and add the users to your CRM or other backend system.
Please also see the Uploaded List Tutorial.
Download a Lifecycle List
Lifecycle Lists can only be downloaded by an owner or administrator.
- Go to Audience » Lists.
- Select the Lifecycle tab, then click the arrow icon at the end of a list's row.
Download a Lifecycle List via the API
Alternatively, you may use the
GET /api/lists/(list)/csv API endpoint to
download a Lifecycle list via the API. The following example downloads a CSV
file of the Direct Open list:
GET /api/lists/ua_direct_open_last_7_days/csv HTTP/1.1 Authorization: Basic <master authorization string> Accept: application/vnd.urbanairship+csv; version=3;
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Content-Type: text/csv ios_channel,2ddc64cd-1be6-497e-8c4c-583f92162b43 ios_channel,83e59129-1301-4266-bd79-f08f959f418d ios_channel,b2ecd36a-a492-4138-9574-0f59153a9600 android_channel,e87b26ae-e736-4303-b144-04de7966472e ...
ua_direct_open_last_7_days refers to the list containing users
that have directly opened your app from a push notification in the last 7
days. Please see our
API documentation for a
full list of Lifecycle list API names.
Add Lifecycle List Data to a Backend System
Each row of a downloaded Lifecycle list CSV file has two columns: device type and channel ID. Add the users's channel IDs to your CRM or other backend system. How you use this data depends on your backend integration:
- You maintain a mapping of channel IDs to customer IDs (such as named users) in your system.
- If this is the case, you have all the information you need! Feed the channel IDs into your backend system for further analysis.
- You don't have a mapping, but you do have named users integrated with your app.
- In order for the downloaded list data to be usable, you need to get the
named user associated with each channel:
- Use the
named users listing
endpoint to get a paginated list of named users and their associated
- Iterate through the list of named users and their channels, mapping the
channels contained in your downloaded list to the appropriate named
user. How you accomplish this step is up to you. You may want to write a
simple script that compares the named user list generated in step 1 with
the downloaded list.
- Now that each channel on the downloaded list has an associated named user, you may add the channels to your backend system.
- Use the named users listing endpoint to get a paginated list of named users and their associated channels.
Send a Message to a Lifecycle List
To send to a list via the API, see the Static Lists API documentation.
Include a Lifecycle List in a Segment
You can add a Lifecycle list to an audience segment. Follow the steps in the Segments Builder Tutorial.