Our Shopify integration enables your Shopify store for web notifications and automatically captures cart-, checkout-, and order-related events, e.g., order fulfilled, checkout created. Use these events to trigger Airship Journeys and automations in your messaging campaigns.
The events configured for this integration are implemented as Custom EventsEvents that indicate that a user performed a predefined action, such as adding an item to a shopping cart, viewing a screen, or clicking an Unsubscribe button. Custom events can trigger automation, journeys, scenes, and surveys. You can code them into your app or website, or send them to Airship from an external source using the custom event API. Custom events contain
properties that you can use to personalize messages. in Airship.
Custom events include additional data from Shopify–properties that can be used to personalize messages in Airship. These include things like items in a customer’s cart, the total purchase value, customer first name, or the URL for an abandoned cart.
For this integration to work, you should already have an Airship account. If you don’t have an Airship account, see step one below. Otherwise skip to step two to get started.
- Create an Airship account and log in.
- Create a messaging project.
- Configure Airship web push notifications for your messaging project so that you can download Airship SDK zip archive. You may download the SDK to any location on your computer.
You need the Airship SDK that you have downloaded when setting up the Automated Web Notification app in Shopify. Contact Airship support to have the Shopify integration enabled for you. Then, after you receive the merchant install link, complete your setup in the Shopify store:
- Log in to your Shopify store account and open the merchant install link. Then, click Install App on the Airship setup page.
- Under Get started with Airship Web Notifications, click Learn More for a checklist of what you need to set up in your Airship dashboard before you can continue configuring the app in your Shopify store.
- Click Configure Web Notifications in the Web Notifications section on the configuration page of Automated Web Notification of your Shopify store.
- Click Upload Zipped Airship SDK Bundle and select the downloaded Airship SDK. The App Key is updated to the value from the SDK.
- To fill in the Integration Token field, follow the steps of the Create a Token procedure on the Manage Bearer Tokens page in Airship documention. You can also open this page by clicking the Create an integration token button below the Integration Token field.
- Click Save to apply your settings.
The merchant install link expires after 7 days. Make sure to install the Automated Web Notification app within this period.
With the Airship SDK bundle uploaded and configured, you can now customize the user experience for customers opting in for notifications. You have multiple attributes at your disposal:
- On the configuration page of the Automated Web Notification app, scroll to the Opt-In Display section and click the Add opt-in button.
- In the expanded Opt-In Display section, you can now edit various attributes of the notification: the style of the notification (whether it should appear as a prompt or a bell), the text of the heading and text, color, and position on the screen where it should appear.
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Users trigger the prompt when they view a blog post or a product page – the prompt is not displayed on checkout or cart pages. The prompt disappears after 60 seconds unless the user interacts with it.
If the user does not choose to opt in to notifications, the prompt will be triggered again in 2 weeks. You can adjust the timing of the re-prompt in your Shopify admin for the Automated Web Notifications app.
Supported Custom Events
Most custom events are generated via webhooks which are sent by Shopify. In some cases, such as shopify_cart_changed, an event originates from the browser. The following custom events are supported:
|shopify_cart_changed||A user took any action in the browser that modified the contents of or created a cart.|
|shopify_checkout_created||A user started the checkout process for a cart.|
|shopify_checkout_updated||A user took any action that modified the status of a checkout. Triggered as a user completes each section of checkout.|
|shopify_order_created||A user has completed a checkout and submitted an order.|
|shopify_order_fulfilled||A shop owner has marked an order as fulfilled.|
|shopify_order_fulfilled_update||A shipping provider has provided a status update for an order.|