mParticle is a mobile data platform. Apps using the mParticle SDK collect data which is then routed to various providers configured on mParticle's dashboard.
Integration with mParticle allows customers to route data to their analytics providers of choice, and if they are already mParticle customers it can lower the amount of work required to integrate Airship.
With Airship messaging, you can use mParticle to capture tags and events. With Real-Time Data Streaming you can send unique events back to mParticle.
The Airship/mParticle integration is straightforward. Simply add the Airship Kit to your app's dependencies. The kit acts as a bridge between the mParticle and Airship SDKs.
We recommend following the steps provided by mParticle in: Airship Kit Integration.
With the Airship SDK and kit installed in your project, you can use Airship user tags to group users and track behaviors. Map events and event attributes to tags in the mParticle dashboard.
Location events are not automatically tracked in the co-SDK integration. See: Intro to Automation: Location Triggers.
Mapping of mParticle events occurs automatically. The following ecommerce events are mapped to Airship events:
|mParticle Event||Airship Mapped Name|
To use mParticle's Lifetime Value feature, you must specify an event name for Airship. Usually these are purchase events or other events you’d like to attribute to the lifetime value of the customer.
Product Bags are not supported or passed by mParticle in integrations.
mParticle User Attributes
User attributes get mapped to device class tags. If the user attribute does
not contain a value the following Airship tag is set: key If the user
attribute contains a value the following format is used to set the tag
- Log in to mParticle.
- Add Airship and create the token. Follow mParticle's kit configuration steps. You will paste the token in the next step.
- Open your messaging project and go to Settings » Real-Time Data Streaming.
- Under Real-Time Data Streaming, click mParticle.
Previously configured integrations are listed under Enabled Integrations.
- Configure a new mParticle integration:
- Enter a user-friendly name and description.
- Paste the Token from the mParticle setup steps above.
- Select the event types you want to send to mParticle.
- Click Activate.
Troubleshooting mParticle Setup
- What do I do if I already have the Airship SDK in my app and want to add mParticle's SDK?
- In order to send events from mParticle to Airship, either:
Reinstall the kit through mParticle for a SDK update and to map the events.
Map mParticle events to Airship-specific events, e.g., tags, custom events, etc.
- How do I update the Airship SDK when it was originally installed via the mParticle SDK?
- You can specify a newer Airship SDK cocoapod for iOS or define a newer gradle dependency for Android. Both cocoapods and gradle resolve to the newest dependency listed. For example, the kit could define 7.0.0, but if the app wants 7.2.0, the kit will be forced to use 7.2.0.
- Target users in Airship via tags and custom events.
- Reach your customer on multiple channels (email, social, etc.), leveraging mobile user behavior to optimize your marketing messages.
- Run custom analysis with mobile data via one of mParticle’s data warehouse providers.
- Leverage other marketing platforms (email, social, etc.) with rich mobile events.
- Pre-mapped eCommerce events from mParticle to Airship.