Gimbal sends their location data to Airship via our Gimbal Adapters. An Airship Gimbal Adapter is a drop-in class for iOS, Android, and Amazon that integrates Gimbal Places events with Airship. The Gimbal data can then be used with the Location and Location Attributes triggers with AutomationA set of conditions that your audience must meet before they receive a message. and JourneysA series of messages that is initiated by a single automation trigger. Airship sends messages in the series based on your timing settings, and you can also set conditions that determine the continuation of the series. .
Gimbal Integration Requirements
- SDK version 6.0 or later: Download the latest stable SDK from appropriate Platform page.
- Account Entitlement: Account-level permissions apply, based on your pricing package. Contact Airship Sales with any questions related to pricing and entitlements for location and automation services.
Contact your Gimbal Account Manager with any questions.
Add Gimbal Adapters
Follow the installation instructions:
Configure Gimbal Integration
Gimbal is the system of record for their location data, and all updates to places data are managed by Gimbal. In these steps you will enter your Gimbal Server API Key into your Airship settings, then import your locations.
- Go to manager.gimbal.com/organizations.
- Copy the Server API Key for the Organization you want to use with Airship.
- In Airship, go to Settings » APIs & Integrations » Partner Integrations.
- Paste your Gimbal Server API Key in the provided field, then click Save.
- Click Sync Now.This imports your Gimbal Places as Airship locations so they can be
used as location triggers.
After the initial import is complete, your locations will automatically sync every 24 hours. The date, time, and time zone of the latest import is listed in the Gimbal section in Settings » APIs & Integrations » Partner Integrations. You can also manually sync your locations at any time by clicking Sync Now.
Now you can use Gimbal data with the Location and Location Attributes triggers. Follow the steps in the Location Triggers tutorial.
Manage Gimbal Integration
If you have already configured Gimbal, you have two options in Settings » APIs & Integrations » Partner Integrations:
Sync location data from Gimbal: Click Sync Now.
Delete your current Gimbal Server API key: Click remove this API Key, then check the box to confirm and click Yes, remove.
Gimbal Key Terms
- A location is a logical place defined by a set of beacons and/or geofences. Locations are the logical entities that are signalled by devices and may be used to trigger automations and journeys.
- Attributes are key/value pair metadata associated with a particular location, e.g., chain:BobsBurgers, has_blender:yes. Attributes must be defined and assigned to a particular location in the Gimbal system and synced with an Airship account.
- A beacon represents a physical device used for proximity detection. Beacons may represent hardware implementing the iBeacon standard for use with iOS, or proprietary beacons (such as Gimbal beacons) for use with Android. Beacons may or may not have geolocation data associated with them.
- A geofence represents a fixed location representable by one or more points in the WGS coordinate system. Geofences can consist of a single point and a radius expressed in meters, defining a circular region, or a series of points defining a polygon.
- The Gimbal system refers to your app's locations as Places. A Place is either a single geofence, one or more beacons, or one or more beacons and a geofence.