Getting Ready for Acoustic Integration
Our Acoustic (formerly IBM UBX) integration requires an audience of named users and an Acoustic API key — generated from your Airship project.
To use this integration, you will:
- Configure an Airship endpoint within the Acoustic interface.
- Map Acoustic audience identifiers to Named UsersA customer-provided identifier used for mapping multiple devices and channels to a specific individual. in Airship.
- Schedule the interval over which Acoustic shares an audience with Airship.
Named Users and Acoustic Audiences
To use the Acoustic integration, you must enable named users in Airship. The
for your named users must be an audience identifier (type) in your Acoustic environment
so that Airship can associate your Acoustic shared audience — exported from Acoustic as
custom events or static lists — with named users.
named_user_id and Acoustic identifier types do not match,
Airship will not be able to associate custom events or static lists with named users, preventing you
from effectively issuing automated messages or performing other operations based
on your Acoustic audience.
Understanding Acoustic Deployment Types
When you set up your endpoint in Acoustic, you can determine whether you want to export your Acoustic audience as a series of custom events or as a static list; this is the Deployment Type.
The Custom Events deployment type sends your Acoustic audience to Airship as custom events associated with your named users. This deployment type lends itself to AutomationA set of conditions that your audience must meet before they receive a message. using the Acoustic-generated custom event as a triggering event.
The Static Lists deployment type sends your Acoustic audience to Airship as a static list. You can schedule the deployment of the static list. If you do not rename the list in Acoustic between scheduled intervals, the contents of the list are overwritten during the scheduled interval. For example, if you have a list called
abandoned_cart, and you deploy it every Tuesday, the contents of the list will change every Tuesday; members of the list will only remain the same if they abandoned their carts for two straight weeks. Learn more about static lists and audience selection.
Generate your Acoustic API Key
An Acoustic API key is the token that Acoustic uses to communicate with your project in Airship. You must provide this key when registering an Airship Endpoint in Acoustic. You can also get your app key when you generate a token; you will need your app key when registering with Acoustic as well.
- Open your project in Airship.
- Go to Settings » Project Configuration and click Manage for Partner Integrations.
- In the Acoustic Tokens section, click Create Token.
- Enter a name for the token and click Create Token.
- Copy your token to a secure location, like a password manager. You cannot retrieve your token after you close the dialog box.
Register an Airship Endpoint with Acoustic
Registering an endpoint requires an Acoustic API key from your Airship project.
Log in to the Acoustic dashboard.
Click Endpoints, and select Register new endpoint.
Find and select Airship, then click Next.
On the Endpoint Registration page, provide your Airship app credentials. You can also provide an optional alias and description to help identify the endpoint in the Acoustic interface.
Select your Deployment:
Custom Events — Send audience information to Airship as custom events; you can use these custom events to trigger automations and sequences for a targeted audience.
Custom Lists — Send audience information to Airship as a static list.
In the API Key field, enter the Acoustic token you created in the previous section.
Enter your Airship App Key. You can get your app key from the Airship dashboard in Settings.
Your endpoint is now listed in the Acoustic Pilot dashboard. If the endpoint doesn’t appear to be active, refresh the page.
Sync Identifiers for Users
To take advantage of Acoustic, you have to determine the Acoustic identifier that you want to associate with named users in your app’s audience. Your Acoustic identifier should be the same type of value as your
named_user_id in Airship. For example, if your named users are organized by
an account or username for your service, you must select the Acoustic Identifier Type
that corresponds the account or username value.
- Click the options menu next to your new endpoint and select Edit Endpoint Details.
- Go to the Identifiers tab, and click Edit for the
You can only edit identifiers once.
- Set the Identifier Type to the identifier that corresponds to the
named_user_idvalues for your named users.
- Click Save. You are now ready to share your Acoustic audience with your app.
Sharing your Audience with Airship
After you configure your endpoint, you have to determine when and how often to share your Acoustic audience with your Airship app. Your source audience is unique to your Acoustic environment and use case.
- Go to the Audiences tab in the Acoustic dashboard and click Share audiences and identifiers.
- Select Share an audience and click Next.
- Select the Acoustic Source Audience that you want to share with your Airship app, and then select your Airship endpoint as the Destination Audience.
- Enter a name without spaces for this audience in the Create New Audience field and click Next. The audience name becomes the
nameof your custom event or static list in Airship.
If sharing an audience as custom events, the event name must be entirely lowercase. If the name contains uppercase characters, Airship will not receive the event.
- Under Map audience identifiers, select the Source identifier for your audience; this is the value mapped to your named users in Airship.
named_useras the Destination identifier, and then click Next.
- Determine the frequency with which to Share audiences and identifiers and click Next. By default, Acoustic shares custom events with Airship as they occur.
- Provide destination options:
- Select Add New Records.
- You can specify a Minimum number of records to share. If you opt to share immediately, Acoustic will share an audience as soon as it meets the minimum threshold. If you share the audience on a schedule, and you do not reach the minimum number of records before the scheduled interval, Acoustic will wait to share audiences and identifiers until the next scheduled interval.
- Click Share to initiate audience sharing with Airship.
Using Acoustic Custom Events as Automation Triggers
You can use your Acoustic audience as a trigger in the Automation and Sequence composers. As Acoustic shares custom events with your app, your app will trigger sending messages to associated named users, providing a powerful, automated way to stay in touch with your audience.
In the Setup step in an automation or Trigger step in a sequence:
- Select the Custom Event trigger, and specify the name of your custom event. The custom event name is the same as the Audience name in the Acoustic dashboard.
- Configure the message that you want to send when Airship receives the corresponding audience of custom events from Acoustic.
Sending a Message to your Acoustic Audience List
If you deploy your Acoustic audience as a static list, you can target that list in the Audience step when sending a message. The name of your list in Airship is the same as the name of your audience set in Acoustic under Audiences.
Click and select Message.
In the Audience step, select the channels you want to send your message to.
Select Target Specific Users and either:
- Use the search box to find and select your list.
- Under the Explore option, select Lists » Uploaded Lists and enter the name of your Acoustic Audience in the search/filter field.
Continue configuring your message; when complete, your message will go to members of your Acoustic audience list.