Enter a survey name, then configure optional features. The name appears in reporting and Messages OverviewA view of all your project’s messages, journeys, and A/B tests, with options for editing their settings, content, status, and more. .
Select your survey audience:
- All Users: Display the survey to your entire audience.
- Test Users: Predefined recipient groups. After choosing Test Users, select from the Test Groups dropdown menu that appears. See: Preview and Test Groups.
- Target Specific Users: Create a recipient group based on available conditions. See: Target Specific Users: In-App Automation.
Configure the content of your survey. A preview updates as you type and make selections. See About surveys: Appearance and behavior for configuration details.
First select a template and click Continue with selected template. You cannot change template selection after continuing.
Click Settings in the sidebar to choose the survey style and configure the dismiss button. Enter a hexadecimal value for the button color.
Click Design in the sidebar to set the appearance of the survey background and buttons, and the text for any header, body, question, and answer. Header and body configuration do not appear here until you add them to the survey. These settings are for this survey only and override your project-level design settings. Enter hexadecimal values for colors.
Edit or delete the default questions to suit the purpose of your survey. To add more content, click Add content and make a selection, then configure:
Header and Body — Enter text.
Question — Surveys support up to 10 questions.
- Select a question type: Single Choice, Multiple Choice, or Open Text.
- Enter question and answer text.
- (Optional) Check the Required checkbox to make answering the question a requirement for submitting the survey.
- (Optional for Single Choice and Multiple Choice questions) Check the Randomize order checkbox to present the answers in random order when the survey is viewed in the app. Randomized order requires iOS and Android SDKs 16.6+.
- (Optional for Single Choice questions) Enable Store as Attribute to store responses as text or number AttributesMetadata that you can use for audience segmentation. Attributes differ from tags in that when evaluating users with attributes, Airship uses operators, e.g., equals, less than/greater than, contains, before/after, to determine whether or not to target a user. Supported attribute types are TEXT, NUMBER, and DATE.
- Search for and select an attribute.
- Enter a value next to each answer. The value entered must match the attribute type (text or number). If empty, the response is not stored as an attribute. You must add attributes to your project before you can use them in surveys.
To reorder your content, including question answers, click and hold and drag and drop in new positions in the survey. The answer order is ignored if you checked Randomize order.
Media — Enter an HTTPS URL that will be accessible by your mobile audience. If your Airship plan includes CDN support you can also upload media or select from previously uploaded media. Contact Support if you are interested in enabling CDN media hosting.
- Select Upload and click Insert Media.
Click Choose file and select a file to upload, or select from previous uploads.
- The default sort order is most recent upload first.
- You can search by file name or keyword.
- A file preview appears after upload or selection. Click to preview audio and video files.
(Optional) Add or edit keywords for the file to help organize your uploads.
- Enter a term in the search field below the preview and select from results, or click Add keyword: [term].
- Click to remove a keyword.
Click Insert selected media.
- Select Upload and click Insert Media.
Customize the Submit button and add more buttons.
- Submit button text — You can edit edit the button label. A label is required.
- Add more buttons — Click Add button, then enter a button label and select an action. If there are two buttons total, choose a button layout: separate, joined, or stacked. All buttons support adding or removing a TagMetadata that you can associate with channels or named users for audience segmentation. Generally, they are generally descriptive terms indicating user preferences or other categorizations, e.g.,
weather_alerts_los_angeles. Tags are case-sensitive. when the button is pressed. See: Set a tag.
- Confirmation screen — Enable this setting to create a screen that appears after clicking the Submit button. Then:
- Select a layout.
- Configure the media and text fields.
- (Optional) Configure buttons as described above for buttons in the survey content.
- Click Done.
Enable Privacy Terms to add a link to privacy terms to help users understand your data collection practices. Enter the link text and add the URL.
Configure the trigger that will cause the survey to appear to users. You must configure at least one trigger, and you can also set cancellation events and additional display conditions.
Review your survey. If you want to make changes, click EDIT, make your changes, then either click or click the central navigation dot to return to the Review step. If you exit before this final step, the survey is still a draft and not yet active.
Click Finish to make the survey active.