Audience lists are messaging recipient groups based on either your own data or automatically-generated app user lifecycle information. You can use audience lists to target specific users. This document explains Subscription audience lists.
About Subscription lists
A Subscription list is an audience list of opted-in email addresses. When sending a message using a Subscription list, you must include an unsubscribe link for opting out of all messages, and you can also include an unsubscribe link for that list only. This can help with retaining customers, since recipients can opt in and out of content per list rather than opting out of all messaging. See: Unsubscribe links.
After you create a Subscription list, you can:
- Select the list when defining your audience for a message.
- Include the list in a SegmentA grouping of audience members selected by unique or shared identifiers. Multiple identifiers can be combined within a segment. .
To create a list, first you add a name and ID for the list in the dashboard, then you populate the list using the API.
Creating your list
You can create up to 20 Subscription lists per project.
- Go to Audience » Lists » Subscription and click Create subscription list.
- Enter a name for the list. The name appears in the dashboard only and can be changed later. The list ID is automatically generated based on the name and is truncated at 32 characters.
- A list ID will not generate for a list name that contains only numbers and/or special characters.
- If the name starts with a number and/or special characters, the generated ID omits the leading numbers and/or special characters.
- Uppercase letters in the name are converted to lowercase in the ID.
- Special characters in the name are converted to underscores in the ID and only appear if followed by numbers or letters.
- (Optional) Edit the list ID. Letters, numbers, and underscores only, and must start with a letter and end with a letter or number. 32 characters maximum. You cannot change the list ID later.
- Click Save.
Populating your list
/api/channels/subscription_lists endpoint to add or remove users to your Subscription list.
Using Subscription lists
Message audience — Select a Subscription list when defining your audience in the Message and A/B Test composers. See: Target Specific Users. To send to a Subscription list using the API, use the
Segments — Include a Subscription list in a SegmentA grouping of audience members selected by unique or shared identifiers. Multiple identifiers can be combined within a segment. . See: Create reusable audience segments. This is essentially the same process used when defining your audience in a composer, but the audience information is saved for reuse for other messages. For the API, see the
Managing Subscription lists
Go to Audience » Lists » Subscription. Each row displays:
- List name
- Created and Last Modified dates
You can edit a Subscription list’s name or delete the list. Click to delete, or click , edit the name, and click Save.