Multi-factor authentication is a user authentication mechanism that enforces the use of a password in combination with a piece of unique information that only you can access, such as a passcode in an SMS sent to a mobile device that you own, or a time-based one-time password (TOTP) from your authenticator application. Only if all provided information is correct will the authentication succeed.
Airship’s MFA provider is Okta. Authentication methods are text messages (SMS), an authentication app, biometrics, or a security key. The actual list may vary depending on the configuration of your system.
We advise enabling multiple authentication methods in order to reduce the likelihood of being locked out of your account if one method should become unavailable. Although it is possible to use the same authentication method more than once — for example, you may set up two or more phone numbers — we do not suggest this practice. For optimal security, set up multiple distinct authentication methods.
All Airship users will be required to configure MFA for their account. We are applying this requirement for specific user groups in this order:
|Order||Airship user group||Status||Estimated start date|
|1||Accounts configured for previous MFA provider||Completed|
|2||New accounts||Not yet started||January 2023|
|3||Accounts never configured for MFA||Not yet started||Spring 2023|
The only exception to the MFA requirement is enterprise accounts using custom SSO. If MFA is an urgent need for your account, please contact Support .
- MFA is Airship’s replacement for our legacy two-factor authentication (2FA).
- You may not apply both methods for the same Airship account. If 2FA is configured for your account, it will be replaced by MFA.
To start the configuration process, you must follow the activation link sent to your account’s email address.
- For new accounts, we will automatically send an activation link when you create an account.
- When an existing account is eligible for MFA configuration, we will notify you in the Airship dashboard to request your activation link. Dashboard access will be limited until you have completed all steps in the process.
After following the link, you will:
- Set your password. For existing accounts, you must change your current password.
- Set up your authentication methods.
- You are required to set up SMS as an authentication method.
- You can set up additional methods at this time or do so later.
- Log in again with your new password and authentication method to complete configuration.
If you only configure SMS during the migration, we strongly recommend adding another method as soon as possible. This way, even if you replace or lose your MFA device, you will be able to recover your account without needing to contact Support.
Managing authentication methods
You can add additional authentication methods and remove existing methods, but you must maintain at least one.
Click in the header and select Account Info.
Click MANAGE for Multi-Factor Authentication. Your Okta account page will open in a new tab.
Follow the onscreen steps to make changes to your authentication methods.