Multi-factor authentication is a user authentication mechanism that enforces the use of a password in combination with a piece of unique information that only you can access, such as a passcode in an SMS sent to a mobile device that you own, or a time-based one-time password (TOTP) from your authenticator application. Only if all provided information is correct will the authentication succeed.
Airship’s MFA provider is Okta. Authentication methods are text messages (SMS), an authentication app, biometrics, or a security key. The actual list may vary depending on the configuration of your system.
We advise enabling multiple authentication methods in order to reduce the likelihood of being locked out of your account if one method should become unavailable. Although it is possible to use the same authentication method more than once — for example, you may set up two or more phone numbers — we do not suggest this practice. For optimal security, set up multiple distinct authentication methods.
All Airship users must configure MFA, except those required to log in via custom SSO configurations.
MFA is Airship’s replacement two-factor authentication (2FA), which was deprecated August 2023. Users who had 2FA configured will be prompted to migrate to MFA.
To start the configuration process, you must follow the activation link sent to your account’s email address.
- For new accounts, we will automatically send an activation link when you create an account.
- As of October 23, 2023, users with existing accounts who have not yet set up MFA will be prompted and are required to do so upon their next login. Dashboard access is limited until you have completed all steps in the process.
After following the link, you will:
- Set your password. For existing accounts, you must change your current password.
- Set up SMS as an authentication method.
- Log in again with your new password and authentication method to complete configuration.
We strongly recommend adding another method, such as an authenticator app, security key, or biometric authenticator. This way, even if you replace or lose your MFA device, you will be able to recover your account without needing to contact Support.
Managing authentication methods
You can add additional authentication methods and remove existing methods, but you must maintain at least SMS.
Select the account menu icon () in the dashboard header, then select Account Info.
Select Manage for Multi-Factor Authentication. Your Okta account page will open in a new tab.
Follow the onscreen steps to make changes to your authentication methods.